The course "Optical Engineering" teaches the practical aspects of designing optical components and instruments such as lenses, microscopes, optical sensors and measurement systems, and optical disc systems (e.g. CD, DVD, HVD). The course explains the layout of modern optical systems and gives an overview over available technology, materials, costs, design methods, as well as optical design software. The lectures will be given in the form of presentations and accompanied by individual and group exercises. The topics of the lectures include:
- Optical imaging systems (Magnifying glass, microscope, telescope, camera)
- Optical metrology (Triangulation, LIDAR, Auto-focussing, angle measurements, spectroscopy)
- Optics in data storage (copier, laser printer, CD, DVD, MO, holographic data storage)
- Optical material machining / lithography
- Optical information technology / Fourier optics
- Microoptics / Diffractive optics
In addition to the lecture, the (LV-Nr. 23647) is offered during the same term.